Re: Why are in-person meetings required for the debian keyring?

On 2015-02-12 21:29, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> In my opinion, exactly the same applies for someone you've met. I think
> it's a lot easier to get a forged id than to establish a history of
> valuable contributions.

Well, it depends. A forged passport[1], if one even knows where to get
it, will cost you thousands of dollars or euros, and would furthermore
constitute a serious criminal offense. I wouldn't call that easy.

But I definitely agree that establishing *valuable* contributions --that
is, not just mere packaging, but improving some part of Debian
significantly -- is also not easy.

Then again, in the latter case, I find it hard to believe that someone
so dedicated to Debian would not at some point run into a fellow Debian
Developer would  cound verify the credentials, perhaps at DebConf or any
other FOSS conference.

Regards,
Christian

[1] A passport is the only form of identification some people were
willing to accept from me. I myself have only accepted these save for a
few exceptions, where I accepted a US driver's license but was otherwise
certain of the person's identity.