Re: Why are in-person meetings required for the debian keyring?

Christian Kastner <debian@kvr.at> writes:

> And I maintain that those people cannot be trusted with unrestricted
> upload rights to the archive. That person-noone-has-ever-met but
> occasionally-prepares-and-uploads-packages could just be a well
> motivated person (or a group of people -- who knows?) hoping to
> eventually compromise a popluar OS such as Debian, with zero risk of
> personal consequences, or criminal prosecution.

I think the point is that so could the person who showed up at DebConf.
Once you start postulating a sufficiently motivated attacker that they
would be willing to take the time to establish a contribution track record
and go through the NM process, showing up at DebConf with a forged ID is
not increasing the difficulty of the attack by very much, nor is it
increasing the risk by all that much.