Re: Why are in-person meetings required for the debian keyring?

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:
>     Nikolaus> However, it seems to me that meeting someone in person
>     Nikolaus> isn't actually verifying the relevant identity here. My
>     Nikolaus> trust in a Debian developer is not based on him holding a
>     Nikolaus> particular legal name, it is in his history of
>     Nikolaus> contributions. In other words: just because I'm sure about
>     Nikolaus> someone's legal name, I wouldn't trust him to run code on
>     Nikolaus> my computer. But if someone has been contributing to
>     Nikolaus> Debian for 5 years with a specific GPG key, I'd probably
>     Nikolaus> trust him to prepare a package no matter if the name
>     Nikolaus> associated with the GPG key actually corresponds to some
>     Nikolaus> legal identity or not.
>
> There are lots of types of trust involved.
> I definitely think past contributions is part of it.
> However, I also thing it's desirable that we have some probability of
> being able to engage a legal process if we needed to.  Imagine someone
> intentionally uploaded some  compromised software to Debian with the
> purpose of harming our users/turning debian machines into bots/etc.

I think that's a pretty weak argument. Even if you assume that a
theoretical perpetrator originally joined Debian with good intentions
(i.e., without using a faked id in the first place), and that you are
actually able to sue in the relevant country, you'd still have a very
hard time proving any malicious intention (the developer may just not
have noticed the compromising code). And that's probably a good thing, I
certainly don't want to be legally responsible if some software I
packaged happens to have a security bug that allows to compromise
someone's system.

Best,
-Nikolaus