Re: About the recent DD retirements

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen <at> err.no> writes:

> This means that if you use system packages and want to have two
> applications that both want foo.jar installed, but different versions
> (since they need different APIs or different bug compatibility), we
> don't support that well.  For C libraries, there are sonames and all,

And this is why I disagree with Gunnar’s…

|programmers often prefer anyway working with either a particular
|library version they are comfortable with, or with the bleeding edge,
|or whatnot. Programmers will often look outside of the distribution,
|because they will want specific bits at different points in time.

… because if even the distribution thinks so, the attempt at
re-educating that kind of developers is lost. (Luckily, not all
think so; they see the benefit of packaging and distro-provided
security updates, and develop using packaged components only.
And *that* would be *much* easier if things were there already…
I’ve had to hand-compile stuff for mwlib (Mediawiki to PDF render
server), to run an OSM mapserver, and don’t even let me get started
about the difficulty of packaging even a small java web application
because all its dependencies are not yet packaged either.)

bye,
//mirabilos