Re: About language specific package management tools

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:57:55AM +0000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> It takes a couple of minutes to download something using pip or
> npm; how long does it take to get a python or nodejs Debianized and
> installable? (eg: learning that npm2deb exists, how to use it, what else
> you have to do to have a package, building the package, and getting apt
> access to the package -- which in turn presumably includes setting up
> and distributing an archive key)
>
> In an ideal world, users would just be able to say "apt-get install
> lib-whatever-perl" and have it. At worst, they might have to modify
> their apt sources explicitly to say "yes, I know there's a lot of crap
> on CPAN that doesn't necessarily receive good security updates, I know
> what I'm doing".
>
> There's two ways that could be achieved:
>
>  - having automated scripts pull everything from CPAN (et al), package
>    it as debs, and publish it
>
>  - having about 14,000 new DDs each individally maintaining 10-20
>    library packages
>
> But if the answer is "oh, you want to use some random nodejs package? just
> npm it into /opt. if you want there's some tools to help start you off
> in packaging it too"
>
> (Yes, I really think Debian should have 300k+ packages, including

If this is being done in an automated fashion is there not a third
option? Teach apt and associated tools about the language specific
repositories. They'd do the download from CPAN or wherever, do the
conversion, and pass to dpkg. On the fly, no need to expand the archive
and no need to wait for the latest and greatest if you're that way
inclined. For extra bonus points teach cpan, gem etc to still work but
register the package + files with dpkg.

I think there are some issues with automated packaging which would mean
that you'd still want hand crafted bits, and there's the question of how
you pin to a "stable" version (though I think often the reason
people are pulling in from external sources is because the version in
stable simply isn't recent enough, rather than unavailable) but it'd be
kinda cool to have:

cpan http://cpan.etla.org/
cran http://mirrors.ebi.ac.uk/CRAN/

etc in /etc/apt/sources.list and have it just work. You could probably
treat each different source as a different suite to aid with apt
pinning (and by default preferring the Debian version rather than the
external version).

J.

--
I reckon that me and you should rule the world.