Re: Can I still depend on Debian?

Thanks for your mail Joe,

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 04:08:10AM -0600, Joe Neal wrote:
> The thing is, Debian seems to be self-destructing.  Can you blame me
> for wondering if I should upgrade my servers to Jessie when the time
> comes or migrate them to another distro entirely?

As a user, I think you should keep on judging Debian on the basis of the
quality of our "products" ("Debian stable" seems to be the product
you're most interested in), rather than paying too much attention to the
amount of Debian gossip that these days seems to be everywhere in the
Free Software tech news.

If "Debian Jessie" is good for you, use it. If it is not, don't.

In the meantime, as user, you can do plenty to help us helping you, in
maximizing the chances that Debian Jessie *will* be a good product, for
you and everyone else out there. You can for instance try upgrades to
the current testing, and report bugs against ugprade-reports [1] if it
didn't work for you; you can try fresh Jessie installations and report
bugs against installation-reports [2] to let us know how it went; you
can more generally just use the current testing and report bugs or
submit patches accordingly.

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=upgrade-reports;dist=unstable
[2]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=installation-reports;dist=unstable

In short: if you want to play your user part at its best, just focus on
Debian quality and how you can help in maximizing it. It's in your
interest, after all (and I suspect it will be overall less work for you
than migrating to another distro, YMMV).

If, OTOH, you'd like to get more involvement in Debian development,
we'll be more than happy to have you! And maybe at that point we can
discuss together more in depth about the current state of internal
discussions going on in the Debian Project, and how to improve their
quality.

All the best,
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .