Re: Prospective Trusted Organization - Debian.ch

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:
>> === Tax-exemption status ===
>>  * debian.ch did not apply for tax-exempt status, because the additional
>> bureaucracy and limitations outweigh the advantages at the moment.
>>  * debian.ch is subject to tax on earnings if our yearly earnings exceed
>> 5000CHF.
>
> For the record, what are earnings? IE: Do transfers in from other TOs count
> as earnings? Would donations from individuals and corporations? Do you
> expect to need to pay tax?

I think the wording should be changed to "if our yearly *profit* exceeds"
Transfers from other TOs and donations don't count as long as they are
donations, which means, we don't provide anything in return.

taxable profit = revenue - expenses - donations - membership fees

No, I don't expect that we need to pay taxes.

>> == Additional opportunities ==
>>  * debian.ch has been (and still is) [[http://debian.ch/merchandise|
>> selling Debian-branded merchandise]] including the popular umbrellas,
>> swiss knives and stickers.
>
> Although of course it is only a suggestion, I've seen guidance that
> organizations selling Debian-branded merchandise set aside some
> percentage of profits to donate to Debian. Do you do this or plan to
> do this?

Well now you mention one of the special issues about debian.ch:
We don't differentiate between debian.ch and Debian money at the moment.
Which had the weird effect that we had to spend "Debian money" in
order to buy new supplies. This is why the treasurer of debian.ch has
the special authorization from the DPL to decide and approve spending
for debian.ch related expenses.
So far all money we have, except the money from the dissolution of
debconf13 association, was made from selling merchandise and
collecting donations in Switzerland.

I'd really prefer to switch to a model where we keep a separate
balance for Debian and at the AGM we decide how much of the profit we
want to add to Debian's balance.

Philipp