Re: GR proposal, Call for Seconds - term limit for the tech-ctte

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 09:46:01AM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> It does not strike me as obvious that popularity correlates to
> competence.  Also, it would not be helpful if members of the committee
> were tempted to take the popular side of an argument, against their
> better judgement, because they were coming to the end of their term,
> and they would like to be reelected.

+1

All the usual arguments against elected "judges" in democracies apply
here, and I'm personally very much against the election of arbitration
bodies in general. If anything, the highly technical nature of a project
like Debian reinforces those arguments.

More importantly, it doesn't seem to me we're near having a concrete GR
proposal for electing ctte members. So IMO it would be best to
disentangle this discussion from the term limit GR proposal.

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .