Re: Time for compassion and the Init GR

Sam, this is wonderful. Thanks on taking time to write this up.

I do not have much to add but just to express myself - I am in Debian because of community. Yes, the quality of Free software in Debian Stable releases is really a dream story for itself but what holds me in is the quality of our incredible community. Thousands of contributors, worldwide, all unique in many ways gathered around idea to create best Free OS in universe (hello universe). We are bind together not by software (yes we have DFSG) but by social mechanism that creates a community where we feel at home, reminding us that being a lady or gentelman is a value that never fades no matter how difficult times are for us. My life changed with Debian and it is changing every day - but not because of sofware - its because all of people that I met and exchanged informations, opinions and love. So, whatever GR voters choose we should take your advice and sit down for a moment and remember all great moments we spent together because at the end of a day its not about software, its about
people (I think someone famous in ou community said that?  ;-) ).

Best whishes to all and happy bug squashing in freeze time,

zlatan
- ------------------------------

It's not about the cost, its about the value.

On 6 November 2014 10:58:29 CET, Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:

>Early morning, Wednesday, November 19, the results of the GR on init
>system coupling will be announced.
>No result will make everyone happy.  In fact, that morning, some of our
>developers, users and contributors will be really unhappy.
>
>I would be dishonest if I said I didn't hope to be happy and reassured
>that
>morning.  I suspect we all hope that the project will agree with our
>position on this complex and emotionally intense issue and reassure us
>that  our values are close to those of the project; reassure us that
>this is a place where we can safely work together.
>
>I don't know who, but I know that for some of the people I care about
>in
>the project--people whose opinion I value--that morning will bring
>disappointment, sadness, frustration and fear.  I may well be one of
>those people.
>
>However, Wednesday November 19 and every day after, Debian needs to
>work
>together.  Today, now, before the results are announced, we have an
>opportunity to extend compassion and empathy and remind ourselves of
>the
>spirit in which we'd like to work together.
>
>I'm hoping that we can all take a few minutes to gain empathy for those
>who disagree with us.  Then I'm hoping we can use that understanding to
>reassure them that they are valued and respected and their concerns
>considered even when we end up strongly disagreeing with them or
>valuing
>different things.  Towards that, I ask you to take a few minutes to
>consider how you will feel if the option other than further discussion
>that you least favor is selected by the project.  Actually, for some of
>us, the prospect of months of further discussion of this issue itself
>is
>likely to have its own negative feelings.  For the moment though, I ask
>that you focus on one of the other options.
>
>What do you feel?  Disappointment that the project didn't value
>something important to you?  Fear about whether Debian will meet your
>needs as an OS and community?  Sadness?  Frustration?  Fear when you
>consider whether you'll be able to get your work done?
>
>What actions could other members of the project take to turn some of
>those feelings around without compromising their beliefs, changing
>their
>mind, or giving up on the values that are important to them?  I'll
>answer this question for myself in a moment; if you cannot think of
>things that  would help you, perhaps some of the things that would help
>me would also be valuable to you.  If not, you could find someone you
>trust and value and work together to see what you could ask for to
>receive emotional care.
>
>It's almost certainly true that others in the project--people you have
>worked with over the years--will have similar feelings if their least
> [...]

- --