Re: On a policy for non-debian foss content in a mini debconf

Hi Praveen,

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 04:31:52PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> There was recent discussions on debian-dug-in list [1][2] on the content
> of a mini debconf being planned in India during October 17 and 18.

> The event is being organized in an engineering college with a good track
> record of free software contributions [3]. I proposed a mini debconf in
> the hope of getting more contributions to debian. Since we did not get
> many debian contributors to attend the event and encouraging the student
> who already contributed to give talks on their Free Software contributions.

> But many in the community felt mini debconfs and debconfs have been
> primarily about debian and having other talks would confuse attendees.
> Some suggested 1/3 of the talks could be about debian as debconfs have a
> debian day where local community can join.

> I would like us to define the requirements of calling an event mini
> debconf as a policy so we don't have to have this debate every time we
> organize a mini debconf.

> My suggestion would be to leave that to the local organizers based on
> the strength of local communities to decide how much debian content
> would qualify for calling it a debconf.

> I'm also thinking about creating a new brand like "debian utsav" which
> would mean a joint event of debian and local debian community to share
> each others experiences.

I'm surprised that such a question can even arise.  It seems obvious to me
that an event should only be called a "DebConf" if its primary topic (i.e.,
>= 50% of content) is Debian.

The name "DebConf" is not a trademark, so if someone wants to call something
else a DebConf without it actually being focused on Debian, then we can't
prevent them from doing so.  But I don't understand why anyone would want to
misleadingly describe something as a "DebConf" if it's not about Debian