Use of Debian Linux 7.5 in a commercially sold appliance box

Hello,

we are currently working on building an appliance-like box for our customers in a “vertical market”. In doing so, we identified Debian GNU/Linux 7.5 as the prime candidate for the underlying OS.

We appreciate the effort invested by the Debian community in building and maintaining the Debian distribution. As a consequence, we would like to make sure that we do not violate any terms of use or license terms with our planned product.

Judging from the FAQ available at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-redistrib.en.html:

It seems that no special terms need to be observed when building a commercial product based on Debian GNU/Linux, i.e. the Linux kernel itself and packages installed from the “main” (as in “main contrib non-free”) collection of packages.

Could you please confirm that our understanding is correct or – if this is not the case – refer us to the specific license terms for our application? We are aware of the Debian Social Contract at http://www.debian.org/social_contract.en.html which does not seem to be the correct document to evaluate in this context.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,

Clemens Renner