Re: Maximum term for tech ctte members

Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> writes:
> On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> We could combine both features, though: set a term length of two years,
>> and then say that people can serve for two terms in succession but then
>> have to leave the committee for at least one term.

> 8 seems like it would be near ideal: turnover is dealt with only about
> once per year, it is close to the average of the existing members terms
> (7.385 years), and it's likely close the historical average (although I
> haven't calculated that, would be interesting for someone to research).

I don't think this achieves the goal of rotating more project members
through the TC.  In other words, matching the average of the past is, for
me, a bug, not a feature: I think the TC turnover should be considerably
higher than it has been, not because there's anything at all wrong with
the people who have served in the past, but because I think this is a
function that should take advantage of the perspectives of, and be
accessible to, a larger spread of people within the project.  That's
something that I've been kicking around since the discussions about our
last membership change, after getting a feel for the various constraints
created by the current TC membership system.  It felt like the project
would benefit from the TC doing something a bit more outside the box.

Of course, it remains to be seen how many people other than myself think
this is a goal that we should be aiming towards.