Re: Maximum term for tech ctte members

]] Anthony Towns

> Would anyone else be supportive of a proposal to set a term for tech ctte
> membership?

Yes, absolutely.  I've been chatting to various people about it over the
last couple of months, so..

[...]

> I think set terms, with no term limits would make sense (ie, you're
> appointed to the ctte, you stay on it for X years, then you either say
> "thanks, but enough's enough" or "that was fun, I'd like to keep doing
> it" and the ctte and DPL considers whether to reappoint you in the
> usual fashion.

I'd actually like what Russ talks about with having a «serve for one (or
two) terms, then don't serve for a term, else it'd be easy to always go
«yup».  Getting new people in is valuable.

> Personally, I think 3 or 4 year terms ought to be long enough, but
> that would mean kicking everyone but Colin and Keith off the ctte
> immediately. Terms of 6-8 years would leave half the current ctte around
> to reconstitute the ctte. With a term of 16 years (which no member has
> exceeded yet), a new member would have to be voted on once every two
> years on average to maintain a full 8-member ctte.

I like Russ' approach here too, assign a random term start so we don't
suddenly have a large number of people being forced to resign and be
reappointed.  Maybe just do it as a FIFO with a fixed distribution over
whatever we end up as the term limit?

> YMMV. I think I'd rather second a proposal along these lines than actually
> propose it...

I'd be happy to propose something if we get something approaching
consensus on a proposal.

--
Tollef Fog Heen