Re: Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

Russ Allbery writes ("Re: Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems"):
> Since, in my opinion, this question is all about how the project wants to
> govern itself and how we want to handle assigning responsibility for work

I don't think this is the right way to look at it.  We are a volunteer
project and we can't assign work to people.

What my TC text, as adopted in Matthew's proposal, does is to answer
the question: what happens if the work is not done ?

It answers this question: Suppose the work is not done.  Ultimately
then we would have to drop either (a) GNOME or (b) non-systemd init
systems, and non-Linux kernels.  What choice should we make ?

For me the answer is: We should preserve diversity and freedom of
choice, at the cost of functionality.  Making that statement now,
very clearly, will make that doomsday scenario less likely.

Ian.