Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > - Wrap your lines at 80 characters or less for ordinary discussion. Lines
> >   longer than 80 characters are acceptable for computer-generated output
> > (e.g., ls -l).
> > - Do not send automated out-of-office or vacation messages.
> > - Do not send test messages to determine whether your mail client is
> > working.
> > - Do not send subscription or unsubscription requests to the list
> > address itself; use the respective -request address instead.
> > - Never send your messages in HTML; use plain text instead.
> > - Avoid sending large attachments.
>
> While I agree that these are useful suggestions (and that therefore they
> probably should be retained), these sound more like technical guidelines; I
> don't think a code of _conduct_ should contain technical explanations on how
> to configure your mail client.
>
> So I would suggest that for these things, we create something else (not a code
> of conduct) that is maintained by you, our listmasters. The (proposed) code of
> conduct could obviously refer to it from the "further reading" section, if
> that seems appropriate.
>
> Does that make sense?

IMO yes. The code of conduct could link to a "Best practices on Debian
mailing lists" document that the listmasters would maintain.

> > - When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon copy
> > (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be copied.
>
> Well, heh.
>
> On that one, I think the current code of conduct is a mistake, because most
> mail clients make it very hard to do that.

+1, I'm also in favor of dropping that requirement.

Contributing to Debian lists imply some willingness to interact with
people and you should not be much bothered by a CC. If you are, then you
can most likely filter out duplicates with procmail.

I appreciate getting a CC because I see replies to my mails earlier that
way. The downside is that people who can't avoid replying within 5 minutes
to every mails they get might quickly generate a noisy thread of 10 mails
in a few hours without leaving the time to others to participate in the
thread and have a healthier thread.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/