Re: Buying hardware with Debian money

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 07:00:10PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> So, I really saw this purchase as purchasing "Debian infrastructure hosted
> at a Developer's rather than in a datacenter".

Alright, that's well-reasoned. Something I'd throw in as a possible addition
to this would be a formal agreement for the use of such hardware, including
such elements as a goal for the work driving the purchase, a notion of
milestones to be accomplished, and an idea of at what point the hardware
should be delivered back to the project or, alternately, a notion of when the
hardware will be considered to have achieved its purpose and can be
henceforth considered owned by the developer.

Put simply, your reasoning seems valid; I'd ideally like to see some
agreement in place to try to ensure that the investment pays for itself. I
don't suspect this sort of thing will be a frequent event, and it's entirely
possible that the developers in question are well-enough known to project
management that there's a defacto character reference at work as well, which
would be reasonable.

Just food for thought.

--
Mason Loring Bliss  ((   If I have not seen as far as others, it is because
 mason@blisses.org   ))   giants were standing on my shoulders. - Hal Abelson