We can not give lessons to others about trademarks (Re: Proposed MBF - mentions of the word "Ubuntu")

Le Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 05:35:36PM +0000, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> It appears that Canonical have gone to war with anyone who mentions
> the word "Ubuntu" in a way they don't like:
>   http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/11/canonical-abused-trademark-law-to-target-a-site-critical-of-ubuntu-privacy/

Hi Ian,

haven't we twisted the arm of debian-multimedia.org to make them change their
name ?

I think that trademarks are a trap, but before reacting on others trademarks,
we should take the lead and switch to a trust model where the Debian trademark
does not play a role.  We have much of the infrastructure there, but the bulk
of the (enormous) work is communication and teaching people to stop relying on
our trademark, and rely on signatures instead.

(One could even consider asking for a .deb or a .debian TLD ?)

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan