Re: Should mailing list bans be published?

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 10:08:42PM +0000, Bart Martens wrote:

> > > I suggest we keep things civil, with respect for the persons involved.
> > > It's really not up to Debian to harm someone's reputation, and that could
> > > reflect bad on Debian's reputation.

> > I don't understand this argument.  What harm comes to Debian's reputation
> > from showing publically that we do not tolerate abusive behavior on our
> > mailing list?

> The harm that could come to Debian's reputation is that Debian could be
> perceived as an organization that harms people's reputation by judging them in
> public about their behavior on the mailing lists.

Ok, thanks for explaining.  This isn't something that concerns me at all,
but I understand that it concerns you.

> > > Approaches I could support :
> > > - post the bans with reasons on debian-private
> > > - or maintain a list of bans with reasons in a text file on a Debian machine
> > >   where DDs can read this info.
> >
> > I think posting this on debian-private is not as good as posting it
> > publically, for some of the reasons mentioned in my original mail.  (E.g.,
> > making it clear to outsiders that certain behavior will not be tolerated.)

> That can be made clear without harming individuals' reputations.

How do you think it can be made clear?  We do have a list code of conduct
already (<http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct>), but the rules
are vague; past attempts to make them more explicit have foundered.  So
while in theory there are other ways to make this clear, in practice it
seems to be quite difficult.

> > I don't think maintaining a list "somewhere" is sufficient; there should be
> > some notification to the project when the bans take place.

> I can imagine that some DDs prefer to receive notifications, which can be
> obtained by simply using diff in crontab.

That would fail to provide any of the benefits outlined in my original mail.