Re: Can CC BY 2.0 be upgraded to 3.0 ?

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 01:28:19PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Er, I don't understand why you think this is significant.  The work formed
> by taking the original and putting it under a different license is
> trivially a derivative work.

While it's not defined to my liking in the CC* set, it defines a
derivative work as::

| "Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and
| other pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical arrangement,
| dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound
| recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form
| in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted, except that a
| work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a
| Derivative Work for the purpose of this License. For the avoidance of
| doubt, where the Work is a musical composition or sound recording, the
| synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving image
| ("synching") will be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of
| this License.

I'm not convinced a relicense is considered a work based upon the work.
Just like a patch, I'd assume this to be a creative work / modification
to the work.

Not that reading 4b this way isn't creative ;)

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>