Re: Debian companies group

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 12:18:05PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The graphs on lists.debian.org seem to indicate that the list has not
> seen much use:

Indeed it hasn't.  IMO due to the lack of an active group coordinator,
whom we now seem to have.

Regarding the privateness of the list, sure, the list can be moved
elsewhere if *hosting* a private list on Debian infrastructure is not
considered acceptable. I've argued at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=650082#133 that mere
hosting of this list doesn't, IMO, go against any Debian principle.

My intuition for that is that the list is just a facility offered to an
interest group, mostly formed by non-Debian actors, whose Debian-related
actions to become effective will need to go through the usual Debian
public channels (the BTS, VCS, packaging team lists, etc). If, in
addition to that, companies would like to use the list also to discuss
stuff that is private to them, e.g. commercial strategies or fleshing
out announcements before they're public, that's fine by me, as I don't
consider those Debian activities.

If anyone think the project will gain something in moving such a list
outside the Debian infra, sure, why not.

FWIW, I've myself much more of an issue with private lists (and mail
aliases) used by official Debian bodies, core teams, etc. Because those
lists are used by project members to take decisions that impact directly
on the project and won't necessarily go through other public channels
before becoming effective.

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .