Re: system time has change while installing

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 01:43:08 +0400
Maxim Markov <mnm1979@inbox.ru> wrote:

(Culled debian-devel from the Cc list.)

> I use  debian-live-7.0.0-amd64-gnome-desktop.
> And it has error in Time Zones Settings.
> System Time changes during installation.
> It`s possible that date can changes too.
>
> for example:
> when i boot from livecd i change location settings from London to
> Russia (Asia), Krasnoyarsk and my system time changes from 20:20 to
> 04:20
>
> example2:
> when i install version to hdd my system time changed from 00:50 to
> 08:50
>
> i suppose that error present in other versions.
> same problem i noticed in Scientific Linux.
>
> i use ROSA Desktop Fresh and looks like it hasn`t error.
> in my own apinion: date and time must be stay as it set in local pc,
> while time zones parameters sets in configs.

This is a change [3] in Debian introduced in Wheezy (7.0)
and documented [4] in its installation manual.

Debian assumes your clock is in UTC while in BIOSes of most
consumer-grade x86-based computers the time is stored in local time,
and Windows assumes it's in local time.

To fix this:

1) Append the string "LOCAL" without quotes to the file "/etc/adjtime".
   This will ensure the time will be correct on the next boot when it's
   read from the system clock.

2) Run `/sbin/hwclock --hctosys --localtime` to fix the time on the
   running system.

P.S.
For a question like yours, please next time use the debian-user
mailing list [1] or an appropriate "for users" list of your native
language (see [2] for instance).

1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/
2. http://lists.debian.org/debian-russian/
3. http://bugs.debian.org/660365