Re: KickStarter for Debian packages - crowdfunding/donations for development

On 06/14/2013 02:54 PM, Scott Howard wrote:
> As a member of the bitcoin team in debian, I also see how easy it
> could be in the future to semi-anonymously receive payment from and
> to anywhere in the world for such work, and that this may already be
> going on already in Debian or other distros.

As an aside, PaySwarm is currency agnostic. The commercial
implementation of it (Meritora) deals with USD today, has plans for Euro
(and a few other national currencies) within a year, and Bitcoin shortly
after that.

> I don't know how I feel about this, fundamentally, yet. But my gut
> didn't like the idea of having a wiki page where DDs can post their
> hourly rates for packaging software for Debian...

Yes, we probably don't want to create a Mos Eisley in Debian. However,
knowing that you can go somewhere to hire Debian developers to fix
issues that you're having with the system would be very helpful for
companies (like ours and the ones we sub-contract from) that build
products on top of Debian.

There is already a fantastic amount of money that is involved in the
development of Debian, it's just hidden.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
http://blog.meritora.com/launch/