Re: Revising the Code of Conduct

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 06:37:39PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Di, 21 Mai 2013, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > 1. Do not flame, use foul language, or in general be abusive or
> >    disrespectful towards other people on the mailinglists or elsewhere
>
> And who defines that?

We do.

Really. It's our code of conduct, and we, as a project and as a
development community, get to define what it means.

> If you can give me a definition of "foul language" or "abusive"
> or "disrespectful" I would be happy.
>
> The old code of conduct was only containing "foul", which also
> was already too much. Nobody can be declared authorative in
> deciding what is foul/abusive language.
>
> Short example: People from Siena (Italy) have a tendency for strong
> words, very strong words. And between friends it is very common.
> What is foul/abusive here?

Strong language is fine, if you know all the recipients are OK with it.
If you don't know that, you do your best to moderate your language. It
may, of course, take you a while to learn how to do that, and that is
OK: mistakes happen, we fix them, we learn, and we do better the next
time. When people have goodwill and respect to each other, that kind
of thing isn't a big deal.

What you are suggesting, instead, is that anybody should be able to
say anything, just because they can point at a cultural background,
regardless of how it will affect others. That is ... not a good idea.

--
http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers