Re: Debating difficult development issues in essay form

Op donderdag 9 mei 2013 23:40:45 schreef Wouter Verhelst:
> I do agree that sometimes, mailinglists aren't the best possible medium
> to hold a discussion. However, I'm not convinced that your proposal is
> the best way to fix that. I think that with all its flaws, mailinglists
> (and/or usenet) are still the best option we have for discussing
> important matters.

I believe we're already using the form that Lars and Russ described, in the
context of GR's. On the mailinglist, people collaboratively construct a short
essay that they think rightly makes the case for their option. Others may
construct a complete counterpoint, but there's also the form where you agree
with the essay but want to change one aspect of it (an amendment).

In the GR process these options are then put to the vote and even votes that
didn't read all of debian-vote can make an informed decision by reading each
of the options put forth that document the motivations.

The proposed system seems to work well, and I don't know why it couldn't
equally work well when ported to the non-voting-context of debian-devel.

Cheers,
Thijs