Re: Young people and computers

> If you agree, as I would, that it's useful for Debian to recruit more young > people -- they often have a lot of spare time, and a lot of enthusiasm, and > good connections to influence and recruit others who might be interested in > helping -- then what do you think Debian could do differently to encourage > this? How much do you think is due to general factors like those above, and
> how much due to changes in Debian and in how it's perceived?
>  -- Moray

I think Debian is doing a great job. I don't think the problem is with Debian methods, but instead with the younger generation themselves. I can only speak for what I have observed in my own country and state, but I fear the problem may extend well beyond. I live in Texas, USA and the kids here learn from an early age to be totally distracted (in a bad way) by the digital gadgetry and mindless media channels that surrounds them in all aspects of their lives. It seems there is now little time or desire by them to be curious or interested in anything that requires one to think critically or exert efforts. Why is this happening?.. hard to say.. but it will eventually lead to a total disconnect from community based projects like Debian/Linux, etc. Can it be turned around?.. probably not.