Re: Code of Conduct: picking up

Hi Gunnar,

I just noticed that while I had read this reply, I hadn't acted upon it yet.

Op 26-11-13 14:40, Gunnar Wolf schreef:
> Thanks, Steve (and Wouter, of course). A very minor observation
> regarding ordering.
>>  # Debian Code of Conduct
>>  ## Be respectful
>>  In a project the size of Debian, inevitably there will be people with
>>  whom you may disagree, or find it difficult to cooperate. Accept that,
>>  but even so, remain respectful. Disagreement is no excuse for poor
>>  behaviour or personal attacks, and a community in which people feel
>>  threatened is not a healthy community.
>>  ## Assume good faith
>>  Debian Contributors have many ways of reaching our common goal of a
>>  [free](http://www.debian.org/intro/free) operating system which may
>>  differ from your ways. Assume that other people are working towards this
>>  goal.
>>  Note that many of our Contributors are not native english speakers or
>>  may have different cultural backgrounds; see also our [diversity
>>  statement](http://www.debian.org/intro/diversity)
> I think this last paragraph of the "Assume good faith" section would
> belong better in the "Be respectful" section. Keeping in mind not all
> of us have even the same mental structure when knitting phrases can,
> yes, explain misunderstandings regarding the good faith of our
> participations, but is much farther reaching (and should thus be a
> more general statement),

That makes sense; but I'm not sure that moving that paragraph to the "be
respectful" section actually fixes that particular issue. After all, the
issue of different cultural backrounds etc is _also_ much farther
reaching than the issue of respect.

So I agree that this could use some improvement, but I'm not sure how to
improve it, exactly. Suggestions are welcome.

> and the mention of the Diversity Statement
> does not really IMO fit into this second section.

Yeah, I've moved it to the "further reading" section instead.

This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/