Re: Code of Conduct: picking up

Hi Gunnar,

I just noticed that while I had read this reply, I hadn't acted upon it yet.

Op 26-11-13 14:40, Gunnar Wolf schreef:
> Thanks, Steve (and Wouter, of course). A very minor observation
> regarding ordering.
>

>>  # Debian Code of Conduct
>>
>>  ## Be respectful
>>
>>  In a project the size of Debian, inevitably there will be people with
>>  whom you may disagree, or find it difficult to cooperate. Accept that,
>>  but even so, remain respectful. Disagreement is no excuse for poor
>>  behaviour or personal attacks, and a community in which people feel
>>  threatened is not a healthy community.
>>
>>  ## Assume good faith
>>
>>  Debian Contributors have many ways of reaching our common goal of a
>>  [free](http://www.debian.org/intro/free) operating system which may
>>  differ from your ways. Assume that other people are working towards this
>>  goal.
>>
>>  Note that many of our Contributors are not native english speakers or
>>  may have different cultural backgrounds; see also our [diversity
>>  statement](http://www.debian.org/intro/diversity)
>
> I think this last paragraph of the "Assume good faith" section would
> belong better in the "Be respectful" section. Keeping in mind not all
> of us have even the same mental structure when knitting phrases can,
> yes, explain misunderstandings regarding the good faith of our
> participations, but is much farther reaching (and should thus be a
> more general statement),

That makes sense; but I'm not sure that moving that paragraph to the "be
respectful" section actually fixes that particular issue. After all, the
issue of different cultural backrounds etc is _also_ much farther
reaching than the issue of respect.

So I agree that this could use some improvement, but I'm not sure how to
improve it, exactly. Suggestions are welcome.

> and the mention of the Diversity Statement
> does not really IMO fit into this second section.

Yeah, I've moved it to the "further reading" section instead.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/