Re: debian for elderly

Hi Thomas!

Am Samstag, 30. November 2013, 18:32:19 schrieb Thomas Koch:
> I'm just sitting with a friend of mine, a 70+ years old woman showing her a
> linux Desktop. I've already manually hacked /usr/bin/startx to add "-dpi
> 120"...

An alternative may be setting DisplaySize :

merkaba:~> cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/anzeige.conf
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Graphics card"

        Option          "Monitor-LVDS1" "Display"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Display"

        DisplaySize     340 192
EndSection

Identifiers are arbitrary. The command xrandr shows proper value for Monitor
option name suffix.

You can cheat with DisplaySize to enlarge all font sizes, but then other
measurements like centimeters or inches don´t work as well anymore. Thus I
suggest raising font sizes manually. But then that may be difficult with
browsers. I often press Ctrl + to enlarge web pages. If I set larger fonts in
webbrowsers as some sites still do not seem to get the differences between
point and pixel which is crucial for this 143x143 ThinkPad T520 Full HD
display I often get incorrect rendering.

Chromium seems to remember Ctrl + zoom setting per page / URL.

> Is there any project inside debian specialized for the needs of elderly
> people?
>
> Such needs might be:
>
> - big fonts and icons
> - reduced complexity, minimal number of options
> - consistency in the UI

I am not aware of. Within Debian. I read of something more general years ago,
but do not remember details.

There are for sure different icon and font sets.

Ciao,