Re: Proposed MBF - mentions of the word "Ubuntu"

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> It appears that Canonical have gone to war with anyone who mentions
> the word "Ubuntu" in a way they don't like:
>   http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/11/canonical-abused-trademark-law-to-target-a-site-critical-of-ubuntu-privacy/

Many people have probably already seen this, but I don't think it was
posted here and may be of interest to anyone who didn't see it.  Here is
the EFF's official response to Ubuntu at the conclusion of this incident:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/11/trademark-law-does-not-require-companies-tirelessly-censor-internet

Included in this is a reality check on what is actually required for
trademark enforcement to prevent a successful claim of abandonment.