Aw: Re: Buying hardware with Debian money

Hello,

> On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Lucas Nussbaum <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I received a few requests for hardware purchases, that I think are worth
> > discussing with the project as a whole in order to progress towards
> > having clear guidelines for what is acceptable and what isn't in terms
> > of spending Debian money.
> >
> > Please provide feedback on the proposed decisions -- they are not final
> > yet.
> >

> > A. Memory expansion cards for m68k buildds (expected cost: 500 EUR)
> > B. Powerful machine for d-i development (expected cost: 1.5k-2k EUR?)
> > =====================================================================
> > C. Laptop for developer (expected cost: 1k-1.5k EUR?)

Brian:
> That said, it does seem that the situation with C is suboptimal, and
> perhaps he could try to see if any DDs have a spare laptop that they
> could lend/give, as even a 5-6 year old laptop seems that it would be
> better than what he has now?

+1

The community spirit among ourselves should be supported this way and
maybe we find more ways towards it. How about the DPL first deciding
if something is sufficiently close to our key project ideas to receive
direct funding from the Debian money, and if not, if the Debian project
should ask for the explicit funding for a project through its communication
channels from the community, much like what kickstarter or indiegogo do.
For the ABC above, it could go like

B : direct funding for the installer team

A : request to the community a large to donate money for the M68K project
    to update their memory. I volunteer to donate 20 €/$ whatever.

C : reject, or change to a request to forward a used machine matching
    some specification for a student  ...

I find the request C a bit strange or I do not get it right. For
every DD there are machines to log in to for building packages. Right?
Hence, even only with a Raspberry at hand, there are tons of useful bits
to contribute to our distribution and so much every student can afford.

Steffen