Re: Authorizing minor expenses by DSA without prior DPL approval

On Wed, August 28, 2013 18:12, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Lucas Nussbaum
>
>> I like this idea of "max outstanding of $300" instead of an explicit
>> time limit. But I think that your proposal makes it possible for DSA to
>> not get reimbursed if the DPL is grumpy and decides not to approve the
>> expense. I would rather use "DPL acknowledgement" than "DPL approval".
>
> First, thanks for pushing this forward, much appreciated.
>
>> So, new proposal:
>>   DSA is allowed to make expenses and get reimbursed by Trusted
>>   Organizations for up to US$300 to support the operation of Debian
>>   infrastructure (pay shipping costs, purchase of cheap hardware such as
>>   cables, replacement disk, etc.).
>
> Given we're not buying the cheapest disks we can find (since they have
> worse warranties, etc), replacement disks quite often ends up at
> approximately the $300 mark, maybe make the limit $400 or $500?

Similar mandates exist in many other organisations, and are often even
template by-law text. The one's I've encountered are very much the same.
They boil down to a mandate for expenses of 500 euro (this amount seems to
be quite constant between different organisations aswell) per incident /
purchase / work order, for which no pre-approval is required. The mandate
does not remove accountability of course, so if someone bought candy with
it or doesn't have a receipt, they're still liable. I don't think anything
that Debian does needs to be more complicated than this. After all, the
people in those roles are already trusted by the project to do way more
important things.

Cheers,
Thijs