Re: Report from the DSA Team Sprint 2013-06

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> wrote:
> Comrades!
>
> We just finished a very productive Debian System Administration team
> sprint in LinuxHotel, Essen, Germany.  All six of the current DSA
> members (Faidon, Luca, Martin, Peter, Stephen, Tollef) and our recruit
> (Hector) were present.  This was the first time that all of us have
> met in person as whole team.  We would like to thank the University of
> British Columbia (specifically Electrical & Computer Engineering and
> Information Technology) for their generous donation that more than
> offsets the cost this sprint, and LinuxHotel for hosting us at their
> open source rates.
>
> The primary goals of the meeting were (1) to review the previous
> year's action items, (2) to refresh the Five Year Plan for Debian's
> Infrastructure, (3) to work on mail routing and (4) discuss a plethora
> of other business.

Wow what an epic update!! Thanks a lot for all this work! (A couple
questions below.)

> [...]
> o) Hosting & Virtualization:
>    A very significant and very welcome contribution of physical (a
>    rack-full of equipment) and virtual assets (co-location and
>    bandwidth) from Bytemark has allowed us to accelerate some of our
>    virtualization plans and, more importantly, handle our ongoing
>    storage challenge.[www:bm-don]
>
>    At this point, we consider bytemark, grnet, man-da and ubcece to be
>    our primary data centers and we continue to make progress in
>    migrating services from physical to virtual machines at these data
>    centers using the 'ganeti' toolsuite. We recently migrated the
>    majority of kvm based virtual machines to ganeti.
>
>    Over the past year, we replaced equipment at man-da, primarily, and
>    moved several core services on to virtual machines (eg. master,
>    mail relays, the BTS).
>
>    Over the next year, we plan to replace equipment at GRNET, and move
>    the remaining services there and at other locations onto virtual
>    machines where appropriate.
>
> o) Content Delivery Network:
>    Last year we noted that several of the end-user facing services
>    that Debian provides just consist of static data served from
>    web-servers.  Very often that only was a single machine and thus a
>    single point of failure.  We have worked on deploying a content
>    delivery network for static data and are now serving
>    mozilla.debian.net, planet.debian.org, www.debian.org,
>    bits.debian.org, news.debian.net, backports.debian.org and
>    ftp-master.metadata.debian.org off a set of machines all over the
>    world.  We seem to have reached the primary goal of providing
>    machine and hosting redundancy.  More CDN related ideas and
>    experiments are mentioned further down (in this year's bullet
>    points).
>
> o) Single-Sign-On:
>    With the help of alioth admins, we now could, in theory,
>    authenticate alioth users via Debian's SSO server, in addition to
>    all the debian.org people in our LDAP.  This will open
>    opportunities for several web services to give even broader access.
>    We are in progress of deploying this to some of our web based
>    services.  Stay tuned.
>
> o) Disaster Recovery:
>    Over the last year we have deployed bacula and are starting to make
>    full backups of more of our systems.  We are still far away from
>    having complete backups of everything but we're getting there.  We
>    discussed how to extend the backup space available at our primary
>    backup storage host, beethoven.  Since the system can still take a
>    couple SATA disks we probably will look into purchasing these
>    before we consider adding external storage.
>
> o) User and Group Management:
>    Last year we estimated the number of active shell accounts to be on
>    the order of 50.000 over all users/hosts.  We still would like to
>    disable unused accounts as described in last year's summary mail
>    but nothing has happened to actually implement that.  Help welcome.

What kind of skills are required to help with this?

> [...]
>    problems.  Most CDNs use a CNAME record to point users at the
>    closest node using techniques such as anycast DNS or GeoDNS.  Our
>    challenge is that the DNS name security.debian.org is used for
>    several different services: email, http and rsync being the most
>    important ones (there is also ftp, but one might consider retiring
>    that service, now).  CNAME records and MX records for the same
>    label are incompatible, so pointing security.debian.org directly at
>    a CDN is not viable in our environment and we need to research a
>    mechanism that satisfies our requirements; we are in discussion
>    with CDN operators.  Finally, rsync is normally not supported by
>    CDNs and we will need to decide on a way forward there, as well.
>
>    In the previous century, open source projects such as Debian were
>    very reliant on the good-will of hosting providers (back then,
>    primarily universities) to provide worldwide distribution of ISOs,
>    etc.  In 2013, we have many options available to us including
>    third-party content delivery network operators. As previously
>    mentioned, the breadth of infrastructure currently under active
>    management is very broad.  It is time to consider letting go of
>    some things that others are now able to provide very capably so
>    that we can focus on newer, novel initiatives.
>
>    To that end, our preliminary inquiries indicate that multiple
>    content delivery network operators have expressed interest in
>    sponsoring this for us and, if we can find a good technical
>    solution to the challenges we discovered, leveraging third-party
>    CDN networks is something that we would like to explore further
>    with affected teams.
>
> o) Configuration Management:
>    The DSA team uses several tools to help them maintain and monitor
>    Debian's infrastructure and to keep track of what systems there
>    are, how to access them if things go wrong, when to purchase new
>    warranty contracts and so on.  Currently information is kept in a
>    large number of different and not cross-referenced systems,
>    including the puppet git repository, LDAP, the nagios
>    configuration, our password database and a spreadsheet file.
>
>    The distributed nature of this setup makes it difficult to get a
>    good, consistent overview and to give other teams like the
>    auditor/asset tracking folks the information they require to do
>    their job.
>
>    We agreed upon one desired solution:  We would like to have one
>    location, presumably a git repository, that has all the information
>    we have about a VM or piece of hardware.  Parts of that data would
>    have to be encrypted to privileged information, but the majority of
>    it should be available publicly.  Systems like LDAP, our nagios and
>    parts of the puppet configuration should then get the data they
>    need from this new single source of truth.  This is going to be a
>    lot of work and it will probably take a long time to get there.  If
>    you would like to help please contact us.

I am involved with a project called "theforeman" which might be useful
as it integrates tightly with Puppet. http://theforeman.org/ It's
currently not part of Debian, but the project does build nightly debs,
and there is a general will to get forman into Debian. (PPAMAIN will
be a real big help here, since it's a fairly fast moving project and
having multiple version support within a single stable lifetime would
be strongly desired.)

Although it also can handle full provisioning of baremetal, VMs, and
cloud instances, I think the big win will be its puppet integration.
It provides an inventory service (central database of facts),
customizable metadata, puppet ENC facilities, support for multiple
Datacenters, RBAC, option LDAP integration for authentication, a rich
query/search interface, and robust puppet reporting capabilities. (The
Foreman team impressed the audience last PuppetConf when they
announced that they were the first ENC to support parameterized
classes.)

Another nice thing about Foreman is that it supports all versions of
Puppet going back to Puppet 0.24.4.

It's also very automatable since it has a REST API and CLI.

Bonus for me is that even though RedHat is now funding much of the
ongoing development, there is no single copyright holder, and it is
licensed GPLv3+. (So clearly DFSG compliant.)

I'm not sure if a tool like this fits into your plans for a "single
source of truth" since you mentioned git. But I strongly encourage you
to consider it, and would be happy to answer any questions you might
have, or discuss offline in IRC (bgupta@oftc).