Re: Proposal #3: Upstream/Debian Project donations (was: PaySwarm-based donations)

Lars Wirzenius writes ("Re: Proposal #3: Upstream/Debian Project donations (was: PaySwarm-based donations)"):
> I do, however, want to repeat my point that this kind of thing is likely
> to be quite divisive even outside one distro. Donations from end-users
> are highly likely to go mainly to highly visible projects, such as
> Firefox/Iceweasel and LibreOffice. Those projects are of course deserving
> the support, but it leaves all the less-visible but crucially important
> projects without the support. Which end user is going to realise that,
> say, freetype or GNU Make or, say, piuparts, even exists?

I agree entirely with Lars.

> > This is a highly re-worked proposal for performing upstream donations
> > and donations to the Debian project. Major changes include:
> >
> > * Debian developers are not allowed to receive any direct monetary
> >   contribution or change the upstream DONATE file in any way.
>
> At this point, there is nothing here that is Debian specific, so I echo
> the suggestion that you take this to a cross-distro list, and/or the FSF,
> GNOME, and other big upstreams.

If Manu does this I hope that they say they don't think this is
appropriate.

> > There will be a package called 'donate' that will install a program
> > called 'donate' on the system. If someone wants to send $5 to an
> > upstream project, they can do something like the following:

If this whole scheme comes to pass, which I hope it won't,
I would prefer not to see this program in the Debian archive.

Ian.