Re: DebConf travel sponsorship

Hi,

[ This is turning into a "about DebConf travel sponsorship" thread
which I am okay with. ]

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:59:02AM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

> If invoices are required, then Debian should book flights for people or
> find some other solution to receive those documents, without asking
> people to book there flights in the hope that they will be reimbursed
> later - the result is probably that those people who are not able to
> attend without being sponsored are not able to come at all because they
> can't pay that sum in advance.

I know of a few cases where people who can't afford to pay and be
reimbursed in a few months have been accommodated.  However, out of
simplicity, this isn't the default.  If it is relevant to anyone, ask
when you get approved (or earlier).

And about Tollef's questions:

Just applying for sponsorship doesn't guarantee it will happen.  Some
people assume they will probably get it, and go ahead and book
tickets.  This is a gamble.

Once everyone is processed and we say "these people will get
sponsorship", then it is pretty much guaranteed that you will be
reimbursed after DebConf.  At this point, it is safe to buy, the issue
is just that this decision comes too late (which is the point of this
thread).

- Richard