Re: RFC - Changing current policy of debian.net entries

Hi,

letting alone the expected discussion or its outcome as a whole:

On 22.06.2012 23:01, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> * Going forward, new user-associated debian.net entries will be added as
>   4th-level (or 5th-level, see last section) records in the debian.net
>   zone in the form of $entry.$uid.debian.net, where $uid is your debian
>   login name. For example, if I desired to introduce a 'foobar' entry,
>   then it would be added to the debian.net zone as
>   foobar.zobel.debian.net. The insertion of $uid would be automatic: you
>   would not need to add it in the mail you submit to ud-mailgate.

why make life so complicated? We could use entirely another second level
domain for these kinds of setups. Maybe we could ask dba for
debian-maintainers.org?

> * New 3rd-level debian.net entries can still can be added, but would
>   need to be role-associated (eg. qa, release-team, etc.) rather than
>   user-associated. For this, I propose that we use this RFC to define
>   some criteria which would need to be satisfied in order to have a
>   role-associated 3rd-level entry be created.

As a mentors.debian.net maintainer where literally nobody within role
teams feels responsible I'm not thrilled about that.

Likewise, this approach would suffer from a lock-in effect, as it would
be really hard to establish an entirely new role team in a future as it
is not entirely incredible they start with a debian.net service.

By the way, as a random note: The Apache Software Foundation requires
that new projects go through Incubator which follows a similar principle
[1].

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html
--
with kind regards,