Re: revenue sharing agreement with DuckDuckGo

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:46:25AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:26:18 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> > I welcome feedback on this matter,
>
> I already install DDG as default search engine on any (Linux or Windows)
> user that lets me fiddle with their setup, so as far as I'm concerned
> this is a case of us being paid to do something that will save me effort.
>
> I realise that's an almost completely irrelevant data point, but if it
> were the case that other DDs are doing similar, then we should probably
> be changing the default regardless of this payment offer.
>
> Of course establishing whether that's the case is not likely to be
> possible, but I suppose the iceweasel maintainer could canvas opinions,
> or just make a decision as they see fit (in the usual manner).

With my iceweasel maintainer hat on, I won't start to consider ddg as a
default until it at least matches the user experience the current
default engine provides, including search suggestions and localized
results (the latter requires some manual work ; the former lacks
server-side support).

Mike