Re: license of http://udd.debian.org/ data collection?

]] Stefano Zacchiroli

> If I understand correctly what Jonas is aiming at, that's not (yet) a
> satisfactory answer. The license of a collection of a data might very
> well be different than the license of the individual pieces of data
> itself. I'm not expert on database licensing, but the underlying
> intuition here is that there might be a creative effort in assemblying
> the data, and that _that_ creative act might be copyrightable and hence
> have a license in itself.

It's probably less about copyright and more about database rights. Facts
aren't copyrightable.  Database rights exist to grant some of the same
protections that copyright grant, to database producers.  There is no
requirement for creative input, only that «there has been a substantial
investment in obtaining, verifying or presenting the contents of the
database.», which I think is the case for the UDD data.

--
Tollef Fog Heen