Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Anonymous donation" to Debconf 13

On 02/12/12 16:23, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> On 12/02/2012 04:02 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> Ian Jackson writes (""Anonymous donation" to Debconf 13"):
>>> I have heard some disturbing rumours regarding Debconf13, site choice
>>> and funding.  It seems to be difficult to find clear facts and of
>>> course I don't want to be spreading unverified rumours.
>>
>> I have had private emails from various people on this topic.  They
>> seem to me to confirm that there is something to worry about here.
>>
>> Please would someone from the Debconf team answer my questions.
>> Needless to say these answers must come in public.
>
> AFAIK there was an offer of a huge "anonymous donation", which at the
> end seemed more a loan, and IIRC to speed up the process and not let
> discuss about lack of money. I don't know the source and I don't know if
> there was string attached.
> Anyway that offer endured only few days because debconf-team and
> localteam declined such offer.

Not quite: I believe Philipp said the money wasn't needed.

His email doesn't say whether the money was actually real in the sense
that DebConf would have definitely received the money if it was needed,
or if it was just a hypothetical discussion that the sponsor(s) hadn't
fully committed to anyway.

This distinction is significant because Holger was under the impression
that these funds were 'secured' at the time he considered and finally
decided Le Camp may not be financially impossible.