Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Anonymous donation" to Debconf 13

On 01/12/12 01:32, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Freitag, 30. November 2012, David Prévot wrote:
>
>> I fail to understand, if you really “don't want to be spreading
>> unverified rumours”, why are you posting this kind of questions to two
>> other wider mailing lists?
>>
> [...]
>
>> http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20121102.150947.08f4206c.en.html
>>
> it's a dead horse. old, long dead.

No, it's not

I made two trips to evaluate an alternative venue

Feeling threatened by this competition, rather than working harder to
get a good deal, proponents of the original venue suddenly "secured" 40k
CHF of anonymous sponsorship, but with various strings attached,
including a condition that the original venue was used

Consequently, the other merits of the venues were not heavily discussed
and one of the DebConf chairs (yourself) suddenly started publicly
endorsing Le Camp with the original super-size budget

The fact that the 40k promise was taken away again a few days after your
epiphany doesn't change the fact that it was on the table while you were
in Switzerland doing the venue evaluation.

With this new found enthusiasm for Le Camp, much more time was then
wasted taking a fresh look at the Le Camp budget, valuable time that
could have been spent negotiating a better deal or looking at other
venues.  In the end, when the figures didn't add up, DebCamp had to be
abolished, and many people now feel that is a bad thing for Debian overall.

Whether it was sponsorship or a loan or something else doesn't really
matter either: your communications from 28 October indicated that this
money was a key factor in your decision to endorse Le Camp.