"Anonymous donation" to Debconf 13
I have heard some disturbing rumours regarding Debconf13, site choice
and funding. It seems to be difficult to find clear facts and of
course I don't want to be spreading unverified rumours.
What I have found out from public sources, for example this message
is that apparently some "anonymous donors" proposed to give or loan
Debconf 13 CHF40K (~Eur33K).
I'm uncomfortable about the idea of such a sum of anonymous money
flowing towards Debconf. One natural worry would be that it would
come with strings attached.
Can the Debconf global team, and/or the DC13 local team, please answer
the following questions ?
1. Is it true that there was a proposal that anyone should make an
anonymous donation or loan to Debconf 13 ?
2. Exactly what was proposed, and when was it proposed ?
3. Were any conditions attached ? If so what were the conditions ?
4. How far did the discussions progress (so far) ?
Has the proposal now been abandoned and if so, when ?
5. Were the proposed donors individuals (if so how many?),
a company, a government, or an NGO ?
6. Were the proposed donors in positions of authority or governance in
relation to Debconf ? Examples of people in positions of authority
or governance in relation to Debconf include the DPL, the DPL
helpers tasked with Debconf-related tasks, people involved with
Debconf accounting on behalf of SPI or FFIS, and of course members
of the Debconf global or local teams.
7. Who initiated the proposal ? Was it
(a) the prospective donor; or
(b) a member of the DC global team; or
(c) a member of the DC13 local team; or
(d) some third party ?
If (b) or (c), which individual member(s) of the team ?
8. Was the existence of this proposal made formally known to the full
DC team (eg on the internal private mailing list) ?
I think these are the most critical questions the answers to which
might shed some light on the situation. I'm hoping the answers will
be prompt, full, and frank - and of course, reassuring.