Re: trademark policy draft

Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@debian.org> writes:
> Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> writes:

>> \item Any scaling must retain the original proportions of the logo.
>> \item Logo should only use ``official'' logo colors.

> What's the reason for this?

It's standard legal advise for trademarks, at least in the US.  If you
don't require that the trademark be used in the same way all the time, it
becomes *much* more difficult to legally protect the trademark.

Stanford's lawyers tell us the same things all the time about use of
Stanford's trademark symbols.  That's for uses of the trademark by
Stanford itself, so the advice is relevant to Debian-internal as well.
Yes, if we "misuse" our own trademark, obviously there's no legal problem,
but, as I understand it, it can put us in a situation where we can't
defend the trademark any more.