Re: Re: xth wrap-up about statement on diversity, statement may be issued without general resolution

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 06:00:21PM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:

> Otherwise, our lack of diversity can either be seen as a
> desired/voluntary state of things, or as the result of a failure to
> recruit "minorities". Here again, I'd be surprised if we didn't
> agree that the latter is by far the most important explanation of
> the two. There must be very few people, if any, that most of us
> think should be excluded (completely and permanently) from
> participation. I see the statement as a way to explicitly deny that
> our current lack of diversity would be wanted.

yes.

> In that sense, I think it's obvious and the message does not need to be made
> an official statement. It can be simply put on the website.

The higher-up in an organization such a statement is made, the more weight
people put on it. And if it is endorsed by the project as offical, that is the
highest in terms of a signal/message to future user/contributers (vs action).
The action is left to the debian community to fulfill.

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|

	A novice programmer was once assigned to code a simple financial
package.
	The novice worked furiously for many days, but when his master
reviewed his program, he discovered that it contained a screen editor, a set
of generalized graphics routines, and artificial intelligence interface,
but not the slightest mention of anything financial.
	When the master asked about this, the novice became indignant.
"Don't be so impatient," he said, "I'll put the financial stuff in eventually."
		-- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"