Long-term hardware replacement planning (Re: (deferred) bits from the DPL: March 2012)

Hi Stefano,

On 2012-04-15 14:19, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
[...]

Highlight: long-term hardware replacement planning

The highlight for this month is long term planning of hardware
replacement. It's something I've been discussing with DSA for quite a
while and on which DSA has worked hard during the recent sprint [1]. As
a result, we now have a quite ambitious 5-year hardware replacement plan
that will guarantee that all machines in production are under warranty
at any given time (with the nice side effect of generally better
performances, as they go hand in hand with newer hardware).

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/03/msg00032.html

The current estimated cost per year is 29'000 USD. That does not yet
include buildds and porter-boxes, so it is expected to increase a bit to
cover all our hardware needs. But we expect it not increase too much, as
we tend to get explicit hardware donations to cover arch-specific needs.

Given the current state of Debian finances and donation trends, the plan
*looks* sustainable for at least 2-3 years. But this assessment still
needs to be refined as soon as, together with the auditors, we'll manage
to obtain the history of past Debian transactions, in particular from
SPI. We've been waiting for this for about 5 months now, but I'm
positive it could become a reality in the next weeks. In the meantime,
it is surely safe to start with the plan for the next 1-1.5 years, so
I'll give green light to DSA for the first acquisitions as soon as
they're ready for it.

When implemented, this plan will increase our ability to rely on
hardware. But it also means we will need to become a bit more organized
about fund-raising. The discussion started with [1] has some insights
about how to do that. As part of this, we'll also need to share
resources (e.g. contact databases, people, etc.) among the yearly
DebConf fund-raising initiatives and the initiatives mentioned in the
aforementioned discussion.

Great. Is this plan written? If so, it would be a good idea to make it available.

[...]

Thank you