Re: trademark licenses and DFSG

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 11:12:15 -0400, Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> wrote:
Non-text part: multipart/signed
> Let's proactively assume the following "reasonable"
> outcome of the legal advice I'm going to seek:
>
> - we are allowed (by trademark law) to ship unmodified copies of
>   trademark encumbered material

I don't think it is necessarily this simple, as one work might be
considered infringing on a trademark of some other entity.  I had to
rename an ion3 extension in order comply with the ion3 trademark
license, even though the software was being shipped was not a creation
of the ion3 trademark/copyright owner and was otherwise unmodified.

> - we are required to change trademark encumbered material which is
>   user-visible [1] in case we change something in the software that
>   might affect its functionalities (potentially any functional change)

I also do not believe it would be this simple.  We ship functionally
modified versions of the Linux kernel, but I do not believe there is any
reasonable expectation that we re-brand the Linux kernel.  We are also
shipping modified versions of GNOME components, but the owners of this
mark have made it clear that they don't expect us to stop using their
mark.  I don't think that changing these is beneficial to anyone.  I
doubt that there is anyone willing to do this work, and if there was, I
think it would be a waste of valuable resources.

Trademarks are nowhere near as simple to deal with as copyrights.  Its
easy for us to determine with relative accuracy, who the copyright
owners of software are, and under what license(s) we are able to
distribute the software.  Its far too easy for someone to create a work
which inadvertently uses someone else's mark.

Its easy to not infringe on a copyright: Don't copy stuff unless you
know you are allowed to copy it.  Trademarks are not as clear, You can
create a mark similar enough to another mark to cause a problem.  With
copyrights the burden falls squarely on the person copying to not
infringe.  The copyright holder does not need to make any action to
preserve the validity of the copyright.  This is different with
trademarks.  In order for the trademark holder to preserve the validity
of the trademark, they need to actively protect their trademark.

I believe that what we have been doing is fine.  Only worry about a
possible trademark infringement when the trademark owners contact us,
and then, consider them on a case by case basis.  We need to take these
claims seriously when they arrive, and we should, as a policy, deal with
these cases swiftly, but we don't need to go looking for trouble where
no real trouble exists.  If we were to start actively trying to find
trademark infringement, I worry about putting ourselves into a bad legal
position when we either find some, and don't deal with it properly, or
when we do a poor job at finding it.  Let's just leave this burden where
it belongs, on the trademark holder.

I believe that trademarks on free software are a blight.  I belive that
us proactively trying to help enforce them is only strenghtening them,
which is counter-productive to our cause.

All this being said.  I certainly welcome more legal advice from SPI if
it is available.

stew