Re: [Debconf-team] Getting DebConf attendees reimbursed quickly for travel costs

Marcelo Gutierrez dijo [Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 07:25:00PM -0600]:
> > I've been in both categories depending on the occasion. But when I've
> > been in the latter category (i.e. able to afford anticipating ticket
> > costs); it didn't matter much to me whether the delay was 1, 2, or 3
> > months. This is, of course, just personal experience, not necessarily
> > representative of the needs of others. But *if* it is representative,
> > I'm not sure this part of your proposal is worth pursuing (while I think
> > the other one, collecting receipts earlier/more easily, is totally worth
> > pursuing).
> >
> Hi there! IMHO:
>
> If someone knowstaht he/she cannot affford the ticket cost and there is a
> possibility of getting money before the event, first of all this person will
> be able to attend the event.
>
> Everyday you wait to buy a ticket it gets more expensive, if a person
> receives money early and buys a cheaper ticket more money is saved and can
> be allocated faster.

This is overstressed a bit — While buying _just_ before the flight can
get very expensive, the savings you can get for beyond three months
anticipation are not really sensible. It can even be counterproductive
(it has been for me in some cases), as many airlines offer promotions
with around three months anticipation. And, of course, given that we
will often buy non-cancellable, non-refundable tickets... Once you buy
it's better not even to look at advertisements, as they lead to
certain bang-head-on-wall situations.