Re: Debian hardware certification

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 01:02:23PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> And here's my follow-up with some of the answers:
> On 05/21/2011 08:00 PM, Bastian Blank wrote:

You realize that you just leaked d-private without asking first?

> > They can already declare Debian a supported system. They have to do the
> > support for that and can work with Debian to get the work done.
> That's what we were discussing. Who should they get in touch with? I am
> not aware of any front desk for such hardware certification.

No, this is not. It is a difference if _they_ declare that Debian works
on a given machine or if _we_ do it.

[ Not longer an answer to my mail ]

> > are you aware that all of the supermicro motherboards with built-in
> > KVM-over-IP functionality provide that functionality with the support
> > of an on-board processor which runs an embedded linux-based system?

Some informations about the management system as shipped with a H8QG8:
- Linux 2.6._24_
- Busybox 1.1.3
- Dropbear 0.50
- IPMI server as _kernel module_
- Standard X509 cert with support@ami.com as e-mail and expired _five_
  years ago

This system need some serious overhaul to even let it even near an open
network and a proper update mechanism.

Bastian

--
Ahead warp factor one, Mr. Sulu.