Re: Using corporate accounts when posting to Debian mailing lists

* MJ Ray:

> At least as I understand it (IANAL), English business emails should
> contain a signature with extended contact information (thanks to the
> Business Names Act, Companies Act, Distance Selling Regs and some
> other stuff that covers the gaps).

That stems from a European directive on business letters, so it's a
concern in Germany as well.  The downside is that once you add such
information to email, you might turn it into a business letter, which
creates other issues (people need to be properly authorized to make
such communication on the company's behalf, you need to arrange for
long-term archival &c &c).  That's why adding such a footer is
somewhat controversial.

> That went on a bit too long.  Why do you ask?

I was just curious about proper etiquette.  I'm still a bit worried
that corporatelessness is implicitly requested by the community.
Personally, I wouldn't want to see people using corporate mail on
official announcement lists, and I suspect many of us feel similar,
but it's not clear to me that this policy extends to other lists.