DEP-10: parallelized ('rolling') release management

Hi there,

(please explicitly CC me with any replies, I am not subscribed to -project).

I am now laying claim DEP-10.  As per DEP-0, I'm supposed to drop a
line here[1] with the Title and abstract:

    Title: parallelized ('rolling') release management"
    DEP: 10
    Abstract:
     Proposal for changes to release management methodology and
     infrastructure, allowing the Debian release process to function
     in parallel to non-release related updates.

Please note that while the DEP is technically in the DRAFT state,
there is very little to see at this point--In fact there is not even
a concrete proposal at this time.

The intention is to be as methodical as possible about this, including
exploring the nitty gritty details of multiple approaches, and to have it
documented in one place.  Hopefully it *will* result in such a proposal,
and even more hopefully such a proposal will be practical and desirable
enough that we will wan to do implement it.  But either way, we will
have the results for posterity and perhaps some better tools/insights
into the release process (whether it be left unchanged or otherwise).

Discussion is currently ongoing regarding this on -devel, it's a bit hard
to miss the thread.  It's admittedly a sub-optimal forum to be having
such a discussion, so we may take it to a more dedicated forum at some
point in the near future.  I'll follow up to this mail if/when that happens.

	Sean

[1] thanks to Steve for pointing this out, I had previously neglected
    to do so.