Finishing DEP 5.

Dear all,

	the machine-readable format for Debian copyright files proposed in
DEP 5 has been stable for many monthes, is supported by multiple parsers and
Lintian, and is getting frequently used in new packages (at least from what I
see from debian-mentors, debian-med and debian-perl).  I think that it is time
to wrap it up and publish it.

	Its freshest source is the file ‘copyright-format/copyright-format.xml’
in the debian-policy package, that can be browsed on line at the following URL.

http://git.debian.org/?p=dbnpolicy/policy.git;a=blob;f=copyright-format/copyright-format.xml

	Its conversion to HTML is available on the DEP web site.

http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/

	In order get the DEP in a publishable step, a few points need to be
polished or corrected.  The following page lists the currently open issues.
Your help and input is very appreciated.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=debian-policy;include=subject%3Acopyright-format

	In particular, one of the current bottlenecks is the lack of “seconds”,
that is, statements from Debian developers that they agree that the proposed
changes are sound, and that they reflect consensus.  As a personal comment I
would like to mention that this lack of peer-reviewers is not specific to
DEP 5, but to many open issues to the Debian Policy itself.  Help is, I think,
very welcome.

	One of the last points where consensus is lacking for DEP 5 is whether
its wording is satisfactory or not.  As a first step to resolve that question,
I asked for proofreading on the debian-l10n-english mailing list, and Justin B
Rye kindly prepared a patch, that I submitted to the BTS.  Please participate
to the discussion if you think that other non-normative clarifications or
corrections to the text are needed.

http://bugs.debian.org/648387

Have a nice day,

--