Re: I want to try for the first time.

On Nov 10, 2011, at 14:54, hes@fnwusers.com wrote:

> Hello ,

Hi Heath,

> I would like to try Debian on My Toshiba nb205 which is a stock
> notebook from best buy.

You may find more help with this question on the debian-users mailing list. This list (debian-project) is more for coordinating various aspects of the Debian project itself.

> So hear are few questions I have.
> 1. is it fully capatible with this unit?

Full capability likely depends on whether there are drivers released as Free Software for your hardware. Hard to know what kind of hardware you have just from the model number, but you can research this a bit yourself. Look for the various hardware parts, like if you have a Broadcom ethernet port or a NVIDIA graphics card, that sort of thing. Then you can find out if those hardware parts are supported by Free Software. Usually stock laptops have pretty good Linux support so its quite likely Debian will run on your Toshiba.

> 2. what type of anti virus softwear is good for debian?

You might be surprised to learn that Debian GNU/Linux doesn't suffer the same way Windows does from viruses. This is because it has a different privilege escalation model, a different kernel architecture, security model, etc. This doesn't mean that you don't have to worry completely about "viruses" and other computer threats. There are a few commercial virus detecting packages for Linux, I've never used one so I can't tell you which one is best.

> 3. Dose it come with Anti virus ?

Yes. Note that often the anti-virus tools, like ClamAV, are essentially targeted to be run on a server, but nonetheless there is a host of tools for security for clients as well. Debian GNU/Linux security software is quite sophisticated and demands a good amount of system administration skills, so I recommend a good book on Debian if you're really interested in securing your computer.

> 4. how much space do i need on a memory stick to
>   download the debian os using another pc so
>   i can load it to the tosiba?

It depends on which image you chose to download. There are images that are designed to work on a flash device such as yours so I recommend one of those. I would guess that having 2 gigs of disk space should get you a fairly decent and complete install, but you can surely do it with less.

Regards,

Jeremiah