Re: trademark licenses and DFSG

> The controlling principle is that we are not trading on the names of
> the upstream works and as a result we have no need of a license - so
> it doesn't matter what kind of hare-brained restrictions upstreams
> include in their trademark licenses because we don't need a license.

Who is “we”, though? If you mean only the Debian project, that doesn't
help people who are trading products or services that include Debian.

When determining whether a work is free, are we interested only in what
the Debian project can do with the work, or with what all recipients of
Debian can do with the work?

Or are you arguing that no recipient of Debian needs a license for the
various trademarks in order to fully exercise their software freedom?

Or something else?

--
 \      “It is the integrity of each individual human that is in final |
  `\        examination. On personal integrity hangs humanity's fate.” |